Serves 2 | Prep 10 Min | Cook 20 min | Ready in 30mins
12 Large prawns shell on
10 tbsp olive oil
2 cups orecchiette pasta
4 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
2 1/2 tbsp capers
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1/2 cup of loose basil leaves
salt and pepper
1. Bring a medium pot of well salted water to the boil. Add the orecchiette pasta to the boiling water and cook till al dente, as per the cooking instructions. Once cooked, strain well and reserve 1-2 cups of the pasta liquid.
2. Remove the heads off the prawns and peel the shells leaving the tails intact. With a sharp knife run the knife carefully down the spine of the prawn to remove the black vein.
3. In alrge frying pan over medium heat; add the olive oil and add in the heads and shells from the prawns. Lightly saute the shells for about 5 mins till the flavour has infused the oil. Scoop out the shells and discard leaving as much oil still in the pan.
4. Add the garlic and chilli to the prawn oil over a medium heat till it begins to sizzle. Be sure not to over cook the garlic, add in the prawns, capers and a good season of salt and pepper. Sear the prawns on each side for about 1 min till pink.
5. Add the drained pasta into the pan, 3/4 cup of the pasta water and give it a good stir and toss. You may need to add more water bit by bit to achieve a nice glossy, saucy pasta. Continue to cook for a further 2-3 mins till the pasta is hot and coated in the sauce.
6. When the pasta is done, turn off the heat, squeeze over the juice of half a lemon and add the fresh basil leaves, give it a good stir to mix.
To serve; place all pasta in a large serving dish, Top with a sprinkle of chilli flakes, additional capers, fresh basil and a few prawns on top. On the side add some cheeks of lemon and a bowl of chilli flakes.
To ramp up your presentation; slice 2 prawns length ways and sear them off with the shells and reserve till plating , it gives a nice finish to the dish.
Recipe by Sara Stidwill from www.dukkahandspice.com @dukkaandspice
Copyright Doorstep Organics © 2020 | Liquor License: LIQP770017079 | Developed by Output dsj.