Serves 4 | Prep 10 min | Cook 45 min | Ready 1 hr
What better way to celebrate beautiful grilled fish than with warm freekeh cooked with beautiful heirloom tomatoes, capers and olives. This dish takes inspiration from the traditional Italian Puttanesca from Naples, Italy. We have mixed up the texture to include wonderful nutty freekeh as a change from traditional pasta complimenting the fish perfectly!
4 x 120g Barramundi Fillets, skin on
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of chili powder
salt and pepper
300g heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup freekeh
1/4 cup fresh flat leave parsley, roughl chopped
2/3 cup kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1 med brown onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 pinch chili powder
salt and pepper
olive oil to cook
2 zucchinis shaved into ribbons
Flat leaf parsley
1. Add the freekeh to a pot with 2 cups of cold water and bring to the boil. Once it reaches a rapid boil, turn the heat down to low simmer and cook for 40mins or as per instructions.
2. Add the fish to a bowl with spices and olive oil. Massage the fish to marinate well, cover and rest to the side.
3. Add olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, anchovy, chili and capers. Cook for about 5 minutes or until onion has sofened, Add the tomatoes to the pan and continue to cook till softened for about 5 mins. Add the tomato paste and the wter to allow it to loosen the mix and stir well. Reduce the heat to low.
4. Place a large skillet or hevy frying pan over high heat. Add the oil to the pan and bring it almost to smoking point.
5. Add the fish skin side down and press firmly on the flesh to preven ti curling for about 1 min. Leave it to cook skin side down for approx. 6-8mins to get that crispy skin. Put your finger on the flesh of the fish while it is still in the pan and when you feel some warmth coming through, flip the fish over carefully using a spatula nad cook for another minute and remove from the fish from the pan to rest.
6. Once the freekeh s tender, add it to the tomato mix with the olives nad parsley and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve; in a wide bowl, add some shaved zucchini, a good serve of the freekeh, top with a fillet of fish. Garnish with a good amount of fresh chopped parsley and a wedge of lemon.
Recipe by Sara Stidwill from www.dukkahandspice.com@dukkahandspice
Copyright Doorstep Organics © 2019 | Liquor License: LIQP770017079 | Developed by Output dsj.